The two long-term Haas Fellowships—one in the history of chemical industries and one in public understanding—were created with a gift from John C. Haas.
Haas (1918–2011) was the son of the founder of Rohm and Haas Company (now part of Dow Chemical Company), a major global specialty-chemicals company. Educated as a chemical engineer at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, he joined Rohm and Haas in 1942 and held many positions in the company, including chairman of the board. He was a strong advocate of civic responsibility and the cause of the less fortunate. Especially notable was his work for Temple University Hospital and the Boys and Girls Clubs of Philadelphia. Haas played a crucial role in the establishment of the Institute’s predecessor organization (the Center for the History of Chemistry) in 1982. For more than two decades he served on the Institute’s advisory boards and development committees, including a six-year term on the Institute’s Board of Directors.
The Haas Fellowships are open to postdoctoral and predoctoral scholars whose projects will enhance understanding of the chemical industries in relation to societal, environmental, health, and safety issues and in the public understanding of science.