The Winthrop-Sears Medal was established in 1970 by the Chemists’ Club to recognize individuals who, by their entrepreneurial action, have contributed to the vitality of the chemical industry and the betterment of humanity.
Named in honor of two of colonial America’s earliest chemical entrepreneurs, John Winthrop Jr. and John Sears, the medal was given out from 2003 to 2010.
Winners of the Winthrop-Sears Medal
- Peter McCausland (2010)
- Zsolt Rumy, (2009)
- Haldor Topsøe (2008)
- Phillip Sharp (2007)
- Sol J. Barer (2006)
- Herbert Boyer (2005)
- George Rosenkranz and Alejandro Zaffaroni (2004)
- Robert W. Gore (2003)
For a full list of winners of the Winthrop-Sears Medal going back to 1970, visit the Chemists’ Club website.
About the Chemists’ Club
The Chemists’ Club, founded in 1898, is a nonprofit educational organization open to all professionals and students with an interest in the chemical sciences. The Club hosts forums for young professionals to provide career development and networking opportunities, and assists student members in making informed career choices and in finding employment. Annual dinner events hosted by the Club enable industry professionals to share and exchange ideas and interact with student members.